Miscellaneous Encroachment Permit


Temporary use of the public right-of-way requires an encroachment permit.  The most common uses where a Miscellaneous Encroachment Permit is required include the following:

  1. Traffic Control - temporarily closing traffic lanes or public sidewalk for construction or maintenance where another encroachment permit type does not apply
  2. Crane Setup
  3. Advance potholing of utilities
  4. Soil Borings or Groundwater Monitoring Wells (typically around existing gas stations)
  5. Pedestrian Tunnel for Facade Improvements (typically in Downtown Area)
An application for an encroachment permit will require the following items:

  1. Plans showing the limits of proposed work
  2. Traffic Control Plan (if work requires closing traffic lanes or sidewalk)
  3. Certificate of Insurance
  4. City Business License
  5. Payment of Fees

Application Process

Small Cell Wireless providers please note that small cell applications are not currently accepted on-line.
See here for the current application process: 

Beginning January 2020, all Public Works applications shall be submitted through the new on-line permitting system known as MyGovermentOnline.  Please make sure to select the Public Works application type 'Encroachment Permit - Miscellaneous".

All required files shall be uploaded at time of application and be labeled appropriately.  If a document is comprised of multiple pages or sheets, please combine them all into one PDF file, orientated such that it is readable without requiring subsequent rotation of the pages.

Once staff has reviewed the on-line submittal and found it to be complete, it will be assigned a permit number and an invoice for the application fees will be created and e-mailed to the applicant.  Any corrections required to the construction plan or traffic control plan will be communicated to the applicant.  Payment of permit fees will be required prior to issuance of the permit.

Construction Inspection

Before beginning any construction activities, the Contractor is required to contact the Public Works Inspection Group at (408) 866-2150 at least two working days in advance of any work in the right-of-way.