What can go in the garbage and what can never go in the garbage?


Place solid waste materials in your black cart/bin for servicing. Acceptable solid waste bin items include:

  • Wax-lined paper.
  • Plastics such as, toothpaste and ointment tubes, rubber bands, straws, gloves, etc.
  • Fabric/Textiles such as belts, purses, boots and shoes, pillows, linen, etc. (Please look into donation options before putting these items in our landfills).
  • Glass such as ceramics, eye glasses, mirrors, etc.
  • Electronic waste such as audio tapes and video tapes.
  • Dirt, chip bags, pet waste (bagged), poison oak.


Place recyclable materials in your blue cart/bin. Make sure your recyclables are clean enough so that other recyclables are not contaminated with food, oil, liquid, etc. Acceptable recyclable items include:

  • Metal such as rinsed cans, clean aluminum foil, trays, pans, screws, nails, etc.
  • Glass including bottles, broken glass, dishware, etc.
  • Paper that is clean and dry, including mail, newspaper, books, printer paper, etc.
  • Plastic including beverage bottles, coffee cup lids, food containers, etc.
  • Film plastic including bread bags, bubble wrap, plastic wrap, etc.
  • Small electronics (batteries removed) including calculators, cameras, cell phones, radios, printers, cords, DVD players, etc.
    1. Call Customer Service at (408) 283-9250 to recycle large electronics.


California Senate Bill 1383 requires residents and businesses to divert organics from landfills to lower greenhouse gas (methane) emissions. WVC&R distributed kitchen pails to collect food scraps with ease. You can empty the pail into your organics bin, along with yard waste, for servicing.

Place organic materials in your green cart/bin (brown for those with older yard waste bins). Acceptable organics include:

  • Yard waste including lawn cuttings, leaves, twigs, succulents, and flowers.
  • Food scraps including fruits and vegetables, pumpkins, bones, pasta, dough, eggs, bread, etc.
  • Soiled paper including coffee filters (and coffee grounds), pizza boxes, used paper towels, paper straws, compostable takeout containers, etc.

For more information on what can and can not go in the trash, recycling, and organics bins, please visit the West Valley Recycles website.

For special pickup of materials, please visit the Santa Clara County Hazardous Waste Program website.

Show All Answers

1. Who is the city’s garbage provider? Who do I call to begin garbage / recycling / organics service? My garbage, recycling, and/or organics were not picked up. Who do I contact?
2. What is the city’s recycling program?
3. When will my organics cart be picked up?
4. I need to dump some large items that are at my home. What can I do?
5. What can go in the garbage and what can never go in the garbage?
6. How do I report someone pouring substances into the storm drain? Who do I report illegal dumping to?
7. Why is there only one company who can provide dumpsters / debris boxes / roll off bins for Campbell residents and businesses?
8. What is considered Household Hazardous Waste? How can I dispose of this hazardous waste? Who do I contact about household hazardous waste drop off locations?
9. What is the proper procedure for draining my pool?